[modeleng] Re: Accidents

  • From: "Barrie Purslow" <bpduo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 20:56:59 +0100

Alan,

> Yes, I can see the argument that "it is all for our own good", but wont
> get
> into a polical debate.

Politics don't come into this.

> We are extremely fortunate in having groups of hard working and able
> people
> in the Federations who managed to prevent the Fairground and amusements
> legislation being applied to our hobby. It is only thanks to them that we,
> those who wish to, can still persue the hobby in the way we have for many
> years.
> However, the state, I am tempted to say "the nanny state", takes an
> increasingly interventionalist interest in activities previously regarded
> as
> private and personal, and that will no doubt increase.
> In my opinion, giving "them" any opportunity to legislate, which
> publicising
> accidents could easily do, would be a mistake.

By keeping our house in order and dealing with accidents in a responsible
manner we deter "them" from wanting to get involved in our business. By
sweeping our accidents under the carpet we lay ourselves open to easily
justified intervention.

> As for my views on public running, fortunately there are many ways one can
> aid and support the hobby, and ones own club, apart from public running,
> and, of course, many people so do.

And long may they continue to do so but I still don't see your point about
the "plethora of rules and regulations" involved in public running. I've
never come across them - what are they?

Barrie