[modeleng] Re: Accidents

  • From: "I.D.PRIEST." <idpriest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 19:24:00 +0100

Peter,

I agree Peter it is a subject which needs airing.  I guess that the other
question which needs to be asked is 'what about all the other people on the
train', do we ask passengers for CRB certificate.  After all there is more
chance of an incident taking place there than with the driver who is both
pre-occupied and knows he is in the public gaze.

I just think that its easy to take matters too far too easily and without
just cause thereby causing the huge majority to become in reality victims
themselves.

There was a knee jerk reaction to a shooting some years ago which resulted
in a huge curbing of amateur held firearms together with a tightenning of
the regulations.  I have no facts or figures but I wonder how many crimes
have been committed with legaly held firearms and how many by illegally held
firearms.

We do not want the same knee jerk type reation to overtake our hobby.  What
we do need is some well thought out guidelines that are measured and
appropriate to the level / degree of threat of incident.

The other point to add is that if a responsible person feels that his local
model engineering club posses a threat to his / her child why then might
they let them ride on the railway.  Perhaps parents ought to have some sort
of check to show they are competent. To lighten what could easily get out of
hand and to offer some humour,  my son suggests that child prams ought to be
MOT'd just to be on the safe side!

Regards,

IDP

sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other,
body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a
Ride!"

"Never drive faster than your gaurdian angel can fly"

Priest & Sons Model Engineers
http://www.kinvermes.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/p1.htm