[modeleng] Re: Accidents

  • From: The Sheppard Residence <psbr20252@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 22:56:33 +0100

Gmx22@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Do boilers  explode on a regular basis? I have just had a telling off for
> suggesting using  brass for
> my inner dome, if i did the world would end or de railments  happen tipping
> people off onto the floor.

Keith,

To my knowledge there has never been a miniature locomotive boiler
explosion in the UK.  This is not due to luck but due to a system that
requires boilers to be constructed using appropriate materials (and
brass for the inner dome is NOT appropriate) and this to be verified by
competent people (your club boiler inspectors).

If people were tipped off onto the floor, no the world wouldn't end, but
your track and if it happens too frequently possibly the whole miniature
railway movement gets called into disrepute and we end up having
draconian measures imposed on us.

I am a professional safety engineer working in the 12"/foot railways.  I
am not a "Health & Safety" bod, I provide either the arguments or review
other peoples arguments that allow us to certify signalling systems and
trains fit for use on the UK (and other countries railways).

This doesn't mean that I apply the same level of rigour to miniature
railways, but I do apply the principles, scaled according to the risk.

The Hatfield accident bankrupted Railtrack and brought about a
significant loss of confidence in the UK railways.  We may never have a
Hatfield, but if there is a number of accidents, we may also lose
confidence in our customers (and for most of us that's what keeps the
club going).

Safety is a serious business and personally, all joking aside, I don't
like "glib" comments being made or it treated without proper respect.

OK off my soapbox and time for bed.

After 12 hours in the air and 8 hours time difference, I need my bed.

Cheers

Peter