[modeleng] Re: Accidents, now boilers etc

  • From: "alan stepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 01:13:56 +0100

There have been VERY few boiler explosions in our size.
I heard of one failure in the 80's, which was due more to stupid handling of
the engine than the boiler's fault.
(Guys carried an engine in steam and managed to tilt it so the firebox was
uncovered. )

From what  I have been able to discover, the last time that a model boiler
accident caused injury was 1928.

An excellent record, but one that we shouldnt be complacent about.
They CAN explode, and they do contain sufficient energy to cause harm to
those nearby.
Of course, there is a good chance that YOU may be the one closest to your
engine.

But, with a safe design, and all of those published in the magazines are
checked to ensure they are, and reasonable construction followed by testing
as laid down, they are safe in normal circumstances.

The tests are essential, and shouldnt be skimped, but your club boiler
inspectors will ensure it is done properly.
From then on, the main thing is to ensure that the water level stays above
the bottom nut.

In fact, on full size, that was the prime task for the fireman, chucking
coal on taking second place.

The reason for not using brass in a boiler is that it can suffer
de-zincification, which results in a sponge-like structure, which,
naturally, then can fail very easily.

Apart from that, accidents are very few. The only ones I have ever seen
being due to couplings coming undone.
Accidents involving injuries?
Never seen any, although some years ago one IMLEC competitor did manage to
tip his engine over and fall off the trolley and track.

Alan Stepney

http://www.alanstepney.info
Model Engineering & steam engine information pages