[citw150] CITW 150 L3 Q5

  • From: "Mariah J. Touchette" <mariah@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Citw150 (E-mail)" <citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 23:07:12 -0400

Since I teach children computers, the issue that I chose was children's
privacy.  "The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, enforced by the
Federal Trade Commission, requires commercial website operators to get parental
consent before collecting any personal information from kids under 13. COPPA
allows teachers to act on behalf of a parent during school activities online,
but does not require them to do so." This is important since it takes the
responsibility off of the teacher. Each district has their own policy.   The
website also has a section for kids that gives them tips on how to be safe on
the Internet.
<http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/edcams/kidzprivacy/teachers.htm>
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/edcams/kidzprivacy/teachers.htm
Mariah