[citw150] CITW 150 L3 Q4

  • From: Nate Kunik <medickunik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "citw150 freelist.org" <citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 21:48:08 -0700 (PDT)

I have followed this hoax/chain letter for a couple years, the first time I
received it was around 2000 before 9-11, the chain letter was to inform you on
what gas companies imported the most middle east oil and which ones didn?t, for
the purpose of avoiding middle eastern gas.  The letter would say that the
stats and figures were from government agencies and were official statistics, a
few companies would be shown to have no Middle Eastern oil.  This chain mail
has evolved several times over the years, after 9-11 it had a anti terrorist
theme and recently it has recirculated (even at my place of work) due to the
high gas prices.  According to urbanlegends.about.com
(http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl-boycott-oil.htm) it is for the most
part untrue, only 1/3 of all gas is imported from the Middle East, the majority
is from Canada, Mexico, and South American states.  The statistics are not true
and cannot be verified on government web sites like the hoax implies, but it
 is true
 that there are one or two gas companies that use none to very little Middle
Eastern gas.