[citw150] CITW 150 L3 Q4

  • From: Jon Cerniglia <jonlcc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Listserv <citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:16:17 -0800 (PST)

ExploreZip Trojan Horse Program - http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-1999-06.html

  In June of 1999 ExploreZip was affecting computers running Windows 95, 98,
NT, mail handling systems and filesystems.  ExploreZip, was passed around
through e-mail hoping to get you to open or run the attached e-mail.  Usually
it would look like an e-mail from someone you knew and contain text that read

  I received your email and I shall send you a reply ASAP.
Till then, take a look at the attached zipped docs.

  Once installed on your computer the program would start to change and destroy
your files and contents targeted files on mapped network drives, may also
infect other networked systems that have writable shares, and because of the
large amount of network traffic generated by infected machines, network
performance may be reduced.

  There are plenty of ways to protect your computer from attacks like this such
as anti-virus programs, security updates, and just being aware.  Don't open
links from an email unless you are sure it is safe, if you are not sure wait to
open it until you talk to the person who sent it.  Never run a program or
downlaod a files from a stranger.  And, If you believe there is a Nigerian
Prince wanting to give you money, I have a bridge to sell you. =oP

  I found this article http://www.nonprofit.net/hoax/default.htm.

  Jon Cerniglia

It's here! Your new message!