[citw150] CITW 150 L3 Q4

  • From: Michael Tanner <mtanner581@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 13:58:17 -0500

Hoax/Scam: Foreign official in prison overseas that has millions of dollars, but no way to get it out of the country. I received this hoax/scam email in 3 or 4 different variations a number of years ago. A woman I work with asked me about it this past week because she had received a couple after setting up a new email account recently. I was surprised to learn it was still going around.

This email is sent by someone posing as a relative of the foreign official. The email asks for you to set up a joint bank account and become a partner with this supposed relative. The promise to you is a percentage of the money that will be transferred to this account. The percentage usually means $5 million or more for you. The big catch is that once you set up the account, the relative needs you to deposit $10,000 to cover his or her expenses. Once the money is deposited, it is quickly withdrawn by the person who is never heard from again. For more info, the U.S. Treasury has a good description of these scams (http://www.secretservice.gov/alert419.shtml) <http://www.secretservice.gov/alert419.shtml> including where to report them if you have lost money.

*Michael Tanner*
mtanner581@xxxxxxxxxxx
...I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
Chuck Swindoll