[austechwriter] Re: Resumes are a show case for a Tech Writer

  • From: "Rod Ward" <rod.w@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 14:55:23 +0800

I see no reason why we should not be able to submit a CV in HTML. I'd =
love to create one this way. I could do so much more with it than I can =
with a Word doc.=20

<dreams>Let's see now. I could put in a Flash animation of my corporate =
logo. Say, what about streaming video of me saying hello? Or maybe a =
Quicktime VR file of my home office? No, too messy for the  =
fainthearted.</dreams>

There are advantages to HTML resumes and disadvantages.

Among the advantages are that if you put your CV on the web in HTML then =
the recruiter could just include a hyperlink to it for the benefit of =
the prospective employer. Beats having to email something.

Disadvantages are that the recruiters are unlikely to go for this since =
it means that the prospective employer will know immediately how to =
contact you directly. If you have images in your CV (that always =
controversial topic of whether or not to include a photo of yourself) =
then the images may not travel with the document if the recruiter tries =
to save it out as a Word doc. (If recruiters fall over their feet =
through not knowing what a PDF is then they are unlikely to be familiar =
enough with the workings of MS Word to know how to unlink externally =
linked graphics and save them with the doc.)

I've toyed with the idea a couple of times of creating my CV as a =
Winhelp file or CHM. But that also raises problems because many email =
systems see CHMs as executables and ditch them or complain about them =
possibly having viruses.

All things considered, and despite its pitfalls, I still think it's hard =
to beat good old MS Word as being the format that gives the best overall =
results.

Rod Ward