[austechwriter] Re: Resumes are a show case for a Tech Writer

  • From: Peter Sanders <psanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 13:14:29 +0800

Hi

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 10:49:52 +0930, Donald Halley <donald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I agree with Al, if a Tech Writer can't take the time to apply styles or

The use of styles in a cv is always going to be subjective. A TW should not
HAVE to use styles, taking the time is for "styles" somewhat irrelevant.
However the overall CV content and appearance is critical.

> think about how the end product is going to look,

Yes, absolutely.

> more often than not =
> they are not worth considering. Not using styles in a CV is inexcusable =
> for a Tech Writer.

No it isn't. It depends on what the AUTHOR chooses to do and the overall
presentation.

> We always ask for an electronic application. =
> Unfortunately, we always end up with 40 files called CV.doc.=20

Yes that is a lack of forethought, mine is only a little different though
pjscv.doc, though it is very old now.

> Some examples we have had recently:
>
> We get Word documents a that are US Letter
Hmmm!

> No styles in place so the pagination usually goes awry (obviously never =
> heard of 'keep with next") and the heading is on one page and the body =
> on the next.

I think this aspect should always be done manually in such a way that the
cv is presented in user created "sections" (not necessarily Word sections
here). There should not be a need for keep with rest. (IMHO)

> Rather than reset a tab they put in 5 tabs to achieve white space

That depends of course if it is one or two lines, or a whole paragraph

> The use of obscure fonts.

That is inexcusable.

> Typos and spelling errors.

That is inexcusable and atroshous <g>. TW _should_ really be able to spell
without spell checking, the fact that they cannot and cannot use a spell
checker is worse. Assuming of course that ALL TW's use Word. :-)

> Not bothering to address the criteria spelt out in the ad.

Inadequate attention to the cv, obviously not really interested in
obtaining the position.

> Or are we supposed to overlook this, are Tech Writer's CVs like =
> mechanic's cars and dentist's teeth?

No doubt there is a ring of truth to that :-) My cv is now so out of date.
Fortunately I have not had to use it too often, as being self employed in
various computer roles keeps me busy enough.

Way back in the days of HDK 1, I did my cv as a help file. The recrutment
companies were impressed _then_. I guess such a cv is commonplace now
though :-)

> Not bothering to address the criteria spelt out in the ad.

In my pjscv.hlp cv, I used the job criteria as part of the cover page and
this cover page became the help file contents page. Suitable jumps would
then allow the "reader" instant access to their cv review needs. All I
neede to do then was to create the cover letter as the contents topic and
recompile the help file.

Regards

Peter