[austechwriter] Resumes are a show case for a Tech Writer

  • From: AForge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 09:31:30 +1000

My company also advertised recently and I was a little baffled by the
standard of CVs. I would have expectedTech Writer CVs to be about the best
CVs out there.

Nope.

Common flaws included: poor and inconsistent sentence structure, poor
layout, no summary of skills, no addressing the job's specific
requirements, typos(!) inconsistent punctuation (hyphenation) and spelling.
For me, the most disappointing aspect was the poor layout and design that
made it hard to extract the critical information quickly, and betrayed a
lack of user focus. Although that said, it's the first time I've had to
peruse many CVs at once and I know I'll write a better CV myself having had
this experience.

Actually we were tolerant of some of the typo issues, because I know CVs
can be prepared in a rush for legitimate reasons. But probably only 10-20%
off the CVs I saw even used Word styles properly. Most of them had two or
three styles and one hellavalotta manual formatting. (am I being overly
judgmental on this issue?)

For what it's worth, I think outside interests should be included
discreetly at the back of the CV. For me, if  I've read all the way to the
back of the CV, then I'm usually interested, and would like to get a sense
of who the applicant is, outside their professional domain.

Al Forge