[SS2S-Main] Re: temperature controller with arduino

  • From: Tim young <tyoung489@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 21:04:29 -0700

Hi,

Depending on how you locate the heaters you may find that you'll have
problems maintaining uniform temperature throughout the oven with your
planned dimensions of 2 x0.5 x 0.5 m (Free).  Long oven shapes are more
difficult to keep at a uniform temperature.   Long oven can be beneficial
if you have a process that requires different temperatures along the route
through the oven tunnel.   In a tunnel oven you are normally applying spot
heat directly or via infrared.

In a convection oven, like what you want, the heat is applied indirectly
via the surrounding medium, air in this case.   Normally the heat source is
not directly in the area with the product your heating. You want some heat
barrier (wood, steel, or aluminum plate) between it & the product to avoid
spot heating.   Larger ovens would use a supply fan with additional
stirring fans to maintain uniform temperature.

Just for consideration.  This could all be inside your plywood & foam box.
Heater section with stir fan(s) -> Aluminum plate barrier to direct heating
-> oven space with stir fan(s).   Also you can often get lower cost fans if
the motor is mounted outside the oven with only the blade in the heated
space.

The control portion of your job requires nothing unique that requires new
research or development efforts.   This is a straight forward case of
application engineering for this cure oven.

It seems to me that with the Arduino you're starting from scratch to
re-develop the wheel.  This may be fun but is unnecessary with the
abundance of low cost, off the shelf controllers, & software available.
Granted these weren't available 20-years ago but neither was the Arduino.
The design, testing,  & debugging of the software interface for the
controller is where you'll be spending or wasting your time, depending upon
the results.

The BCS-460 is a fully debugged Temperature Controller with Everything you
want & much more. $180.
Graphical, Web, & Smart Phone Software Interface.
8 Programmable outputs each with 8-stages.
4 Sensor inputs
You can pre-program & also interact with the settings on the fly.
http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com
*Graphi**cs Screenshots*
http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com/screenshots.html

The BCS-460 has 4 temp sensor inputs.   These are any ntc 10k ohm
thermistor that you can get 100 for $8 plus shipping online or $0.75ea plus
shipping from SparkFun.
For your curing operation you will want to know the temperature of the
part, not just the oven temperature.   What is often done is to use a scrap
or dummy piece of what you are curing & embed the sensor at the spot that
the temperature is most critical to sense

*BCS-460 Controller  Graphical, Web, & Smart Phone Software* *Interface*
(These will do what you ask of them. Don't get tripped-up by what they're
called. Curing a composite part is less sophisticated than running a
Brewery)

https://www.brewershardware.com/BCS-460-Brewery-Control-System.html
*iPhone Interface Demo*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r9hCVYSt2Y
*Software Documentation*
http://wiki.embeddedcc.com/index.php/Main_Page

*Other Electronics* *starting around $15* (some of these have the ability
to output to your computer some come with software)
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R1.TR8.TRC1.A0.H1.Xpid+temp&_nkw=pid+temperature+controller&_sacat=0&_from=R40