[SS2S-Main] Re: temperature controller with arduino

  • From: Vicente Alvero Zambrano <vicente_alvero_14@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 20:48:41 +0200

In view of the last paragraph, taking into account the limited financial
resources we have, I think the most accurate option is to ask a company to cure
us of our piece in your oven.
This summer, I want to put into practice such a ablative materials experiment
will perform together with Mattias Lampe
From: tyoung489@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 11:00:38 -0700
Subject: [SS2S-Main] Re: temperature controller with arduino
To: sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

My best advice is to use the BCS-460. This will give you everything you
originally wanted in the controller.

If that's not possible your existing PID will work for providing the
temperature control. By control I mean it will sense, via your Type-K
thermocouple, the temperature at the "tip" of the probe & provide this signal
to the controller. The controller will provide an output signal to the heating
device.  The PID feedback loop in the controller will monitor the sensed temp
compared to the set point temp and adjust the output so that you don't
radically overshoot the set point. It will then maintain the set point temp
within the accuracy of the heating "System".  I don't know if your REX-C700 PID
has any built in programming abilities that would allow you to program a
temperature curve some of the low cost one do but most don't.

Your controller can not directly handle a large output amperage so the
output signal is normally wired to a SSR Solid State Relay. Most PID
controllers can't directly control the heater. You would also need to
use  SSR(s) with the BCS-460.

The PID's signal will modulate the electric heating element. Most PID could
also use an electrical mechanical contactor (relay) but the this is not ideal
for several reasons.  35 years ago SSR were just starting improve in
reliability (you had a 50/50 chance of them lasting 1-year) but they were high
priced.  Today's SSR's have low price & good reliability.

Since you only have 1 sense point with your existing PID ( the BCS-460 has 4)
you will not be able to sense both the oven temp and the product temp with the
same thermocouple. I expect that there will not be a point on the nosecone
where you could insert the tip of the thermocouple into the construction to
sense it's temperature during the curing process.  I would recommend that you
make some separate pieces that are representative of the construction that you
could insert the tip of the thermocouple. While this will not be an exact
indication of the temperature of the nosecone it will be close enough. Again
sensing the oven air temperature will not be sufficient to properly monitor the
temperature of the nosecone.

If you plan on using a hair dryer (or any consumer heater device) you will
probably need to remove the high temperature cut-off device.  Also the fan
motors in these devices expect to see 100% ambient (cool) air, not recycled
heated air.  Normally in ovens the fan motors are located outside of the heated
space with only the fan blade or wheel actually seeing the heated air.

Convection ovens rely upon high velocity air (high hundreds to thousands of
feet per minute velocity) to both maintain uniform oven temperature & to
eliminate the insulating boundary layer of air at the surface of the part.
When this boundary layer is eliminated the thermal energy in the air is
transferred to the part much more efficiently.  Therefore the air temperature
in the oven needent be a great deal higher then the desired temperature of the
part.

Unless you plan on doing many curing runs it may be worth a few phone calls or
emails to local Universities or Business to see if they will donate some oven
time to this project.

Solid State Relay

SSR-40DA 40A /250V W I/O
3-32VDC/24-380VAC & Heat Sink

US $8.73

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solid-State-Relay-SSR-40DA-40A-250V-W-I-O-3-32VDC-24-380VAC-Heat-Sink-/330924166119?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0c9e0be7

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 7:08 AM, James Fackert <jimfackert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

mine too. an hour or two learning to program a $50 temp controller (maybe $100
with multiple ramps and usb with pc based programmer )

is much cheaper than the hours and learning curve to program and to properly
interface an arduino that will cost at least $100 with box and interface
circuitry.

jim fackert

Your opinion is to use the existing PID device?