[SS2S-Main] Re: temperature controller with arduino

  • From: Peter Johansson <rockets4kids@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 00:52:18 -0400

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 8:40 PM, Nathan Asdourian <rawliquid@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[ ... arduino ... ]

The Arduino is an incredibly awesome tool for its intended purpose:
Enabling artists to produce interactive art.  Beyond that my opinions
of Arduino drop off dramatically.  (I'll reserve the remainder of my
rant until asked.)

> That said, it should be taken into consideration that you could get an
> actual pid controller for around the same price as an arduino uno r3.

I too would agree that a COTS PID controller is the preferred way to
go *IF* it includes the capabilities to do the temperature profile out
of the box.  If you need to add a microcontroller to the PID box to
adjust the temperature, you are doing things completely wrong.

[ ... description of software functionality ... ]

I think we should let the person who volunteered to write the code
make a proposal as to what features he is willing to provide.

-p.