[SS2S-Main] Re: temperature controller with arduino

  • From: Tim young <tyoung489@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 00:00:21 -0700

Hello all,

First off have you looked into the possibility of using an industrial oven
at a local University or a local Business?  They may be receptive to
helping out a grass roots project like this.

I did some poking around & put together a little interactive spreadsheet of
Basic Oven Parameters. This will help you evaluate more than just this one
heating project.

(sorry all dimensions are USA, I put in some conversion info)

You can vary the:

   Interior Oven Dimensions

   Values for insulation (R Value & Thickness)

   Starting Temperature

   Maximum Temperature

   Weight of product

   Specific Heat of product

   Time to reach Max Temperature

and it will tell you:

   Watts to heat product

   Heat loss in watts

   Total Watts

   Interior surface area in Square Feet

*NOTE:*

*Total Watts* = (Watts to Heat Product + Heat Loss Watts) x 1.6

This should account for Door heat loss, Probe heat loss, etc.

If you are only going to build the oven for this project, with the
conditions you gave (80-C) you should be OK using polyurethane or
polyisocyanurate rigid board for insulation.  If you need to go to 200-C
you should use Mineral / Rock Wool Batts (Not loose wool).  You may find
that the mineral wool is less expensive than the foam insulation anyway.

Vicente, with the example you gave, there is very little wattage required
for this project.

If you want to keep the cost at a minimum you should use the PID (REX-C700)
you already have.

With the PID you set the target temp & the controller automatically adjusts
the heater output so you don’t radically overshoot the set point temp.

With the amount of curing you have to do I would get a timer & a six-pack
of beer or a bottle of wine.

If you need to go from 25-C to 80-C at 10-C / Hr, then break the job in to
20-min increments.

1st 20-min 29-C, 2nd 20-min 33-C, etc till you get to 80-C. If you then set
the timer for the soak time required for the Composite System you’re using
and the PID controller will maintain the temperature..

The least expensive way to obtain your original stated desire of having a
system that has a programmable controller with an interactive graphical
interface would be to go with the BCS-460. I understand your budget doesn’t
allow you to purchase this. Perhaps you could hold a fundraiser to purchase
one. Or perhaps there is a Home Brewer of Beer in your area that already
owns one that you could borrow.

Here's a link to a simple Curing Oven
Airframe Composite Curing and Post Curing Oven

http://www.privatedata.com/byb/rocketry/composites/ovens/Airframe%20Composite%20Curing%20and%20Post%20Curing%20Oven.html