[SS2S-Main] Re: temperature controller with arduino

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "monsieurboo@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: sugarshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 18:36:28 -0400 (EDT)

Seems to me guys like Vicente epitomize the original Day 1 spirit of the SS2S
venture.  Looking back, and particularly considering the wealth of talent and
experience in our group, we surely could've met our altitude goal years ago
with a fundraising effort, COTS parts and APCP as the motivator.  We chose a
different path, partly as a salute to amateur rocketeers throughout the decades
who had to "roll their own" more often than not.

Certainly we owe it to ourselves to make the best use of technology.  When SS2S
was first conceived, there were no GPS modules available for what we needed.
(IIRC, they hadn't even unlocked the high-accuracy version for civilians yet.)
 Today, of course, we'd look foolish if we didn't embrace that kind of
capability.  Sometimes there's only one sensible choice.  When it comes to a
homebrew curing oven, though, there's more than one path to the top of that
hill.   The usual tradeoff applies:  The cheaper, the steeper!

I'm not suggesting there's any right or wrong here, or that anyone is *not*
totally in tune with the SS2S vibe.  In fact, as usual there's been a wide
response with lots of suggestions and options offered -- a win-win for all of
us, and exactly what I've come to expect from this group.  I mainly wanted to
tip my hat to Vicente, another guy who likes to build things from scratch while
spending no more than he has to.

Cheers,
Mark L.