[pure-silver] Re: stopbath kills fixer

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:04:29 -0500

At 04:36 PM 1/25/2005 , you wrote:

>> Thanks for the warning! I've been paying C$1.26 per pound for sodium
>> thiosulfate anhydrous, and I think I'll just stick to it.
>>
>> regards,
>> --le
>

>That's an exceptionally good price!
>
>As an aside, I have found that alkaline fixers with no acid stop bath are
>not as good as traditional acid fix and stop at removing dye in 35mm film
>(esp Tri-X and the TMX,Y,Z etc).  Fresh sulfite is a must for this little
>chore and I find the sulfite to crap out in my fixer and hypo clear way
>before the thiosulfate.  I typically have to add sulfite every other
>developing session to decolorize properly.  It's a good thing fix and
>sulfite is cheap.
>
>JB

jan2505 from Lloyd Erlick,

I get that price by buying one hundred pound bags. A little lifting every
second year.

I've never had the decolorize problem. I actually measure out my fixer
ingredients by spoon, since I've done it so often. I guess I tend to be a
little liberal, too much OK, too little bad. And I very consciously never
overwork my fixer. I discard it early (silver is the bad effluent, not
thiosulfate or sulfite, and the silver depends on how many sheets I use,
not how much fixer).

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.