[pure-silver] Re: stopbath kills fixer

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:51:31 -0500 (EST)

From: "Jim MacKenzie" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: stopbath kills fixer
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:48:40 -0600

> Is this list copyrighted?

It depends on what you mean by "this list."  Even if something is
copyrighted, paraphrasing a part of the work is not a
violation. However, the law and the ethical standard aren't the same
and the latter is often an additional limit in doing this sort of things.

> If not, why would that be problematic?

I didn't say anything about problematic about it.

But I can think of many ways this can be. If person X asks a question
and person Y spends 10 minutes writing an answer and if Y later finds
that X didn't have any problem with the topic but rather needed that
piece of info to discuss something in other forums, Y would feel like
s/he'll never help anyone for good.

>  Academics do this all the time.

Not in the way customarily done by internet forum folks.

Journals, publishers, editorial houses, etc. have their rules and
guidelines. Ethical standards are also a part of science education and
many guidelines are published by National Academy of Science and other
organizations. Often additional regulations come from the funding
source.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."