[pure-silver] Re: stopbath kills fixer

  • From: "Jim MacKenzie" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:23:24 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryuji Suzuki" <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 4:15 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: stopbath kills fixer

> That argument is beyond my understanding. I decide where I spend my
> money. I don't donate money unless I know where it goes to. I use
> same control for my time.

You can only spend a given amount of money on one thing.  However, time
spent on disseminating information on this mailing list benefits the
original poster who asked the question, those who are interested in the
topic who read it by happenstance, and those who read the post later in the
archives, not to mention those who benefit from the knowledge being
redisseminated in the future.

I have spent a lot of time and effort providing information that I have
learned, on the pure-silver lists and on other photographic forums, as well
as those on other subjects.  I figure that I benefit a lot from receiving
information via these vehicles.  I freely contribute back as a thanks to the
Internet community.  This is what makes the Internet so wonderful.

I agree that we have the right to choose what help we will provide when and
to whom, but to equate it to an economic investment is oversimple and avoids
valuing several positive externalities, like the goodwill people receive by
being helpful and the warm fuzzy feeling of giving someone some good advice.
Besides, I fear that the commercial value of silver-based photographic
knowledge is declining quickly; forums like this may be the only method of
saving some of that knowledge into perpetuity.

If this mailing list's purpose is not to share, or is to share but subject
myriad rules, regulations, and limitations, one might wonder if it has a
purpose at all.

Jim