[pure-silver] Re: stopbath kills fixer

  • From: "John Black" <jblack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:26:20 -0500

> What is the drawback of such "pF shock" with actual emulsions ?
>
> Claudio Bonavolta

With prints, probably nothing.  With film, however, I have always thought it
wise to avoid any kind of "shock" to a relatively fragile structure such as
gelatin emulsion with silver grains.  We are careful to avoid temperature
variation and extremes of agitation, pH effects several chemical properties
of the emulsion that could stress it in some way.

In other words, I cannot describe a specific effect that pH shifts back and
forth across the isoelectric point might show, there may be none.  I just
want to be as gentle as possible with my wet images.

JB