[pure-silver] Re: stopbath kills fixer

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:56:02 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "DarkroomMagic" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "PureSilverNew" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 3:31 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: stopbath kills fixer

> Garry
> I doubt it. Actually, manufacturers of alkaline fixers
> make the use of an
> acid stop bath mandatory to positively stop the developer
> action.
>

> Regards
>

> Ralph W. Lambrecht

   The problem is that if the developer is not washed out of
the emulsion it will continue to work once it gets into the
alkaline envirionment of the fixing bath. I don't know of
any specific research on this as a practical problem, it may
not be, but its at least true on principle. In non-acid
color processing the film or paper is subjected to an actual
wash between each step to insure there is minimal carryover
of solutions. This works for film and RC paper but is
perhaps problematic for fiber paper.

---