[pure-silver] Re: stopbath kills fixer

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:02:40 -0500

jan2505 from Lloyd Erlick,

At 05:34 PM 1/24/2005 , you wrote:

... The only reason to use an
>alkaline fixer is to lessen the pH extremes that the emulsion is exposed to.

I use it for a completely different reason (several, actually), so it
appears the above cannot be 'the only reason'. (Not to split hairs, but I
don't really think of my fixer as powerfully alkaline; it is probably more
like neutral to mildly alkaline. I use the formula called 'Plain Fixer'
Ansel Adams published in the Appendix to "The Print".)

>I have no experience with sodium thiosulfate (old time hypo) fixers at a
>neutral pH but I doubt they would work well.

Well, I've used a good ol' time hypo pretty much neutral or maybe a tad
alkaline fixer for years, as outlined above. I'd like to see some evidence
to back up the statement of doubt regarding their performance. I have the
evidence of my own experience to convince me that such a fixer performs
just fine, and in fact suits my working needs and style much better than a
commercial fixer based on ammonium thiosulfate. It's also very cheap and a
snap to prepare, plus if any cleanup is necessary it's easy.

(I think in reality the old time hypo was sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate.
These days the anhydrous form is readily available, and is very easy to
work with.)

Regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.