[pure-silver] Re: stopbath kills fixer

  • From: Dave Hornford <Dave.Hornford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:34:49 -0700

Garry Lewis wrote:

>What I was asking is the effects of adding acid to an alkaline fixer. I have
>not found anything specific to 'this' questions.
>
>The myths about stopbaths are numerous and popularly persistent to discuss
>again here. That being not my intent, I will move on to more searching on my
>own.

Gary,
Can you provide a few of the myths of stops baths. I've never seen any
before.
I use an alkaline fixer because I want to avoid acid in the process.
Since archival materials are 'acid free', it struck me as sensible that
I just remove a couple of steps in the processs - acidify materials,
then de-acidify materials.
I only use an acid stop bath in Lith. I didn't notice a change in my
results when I stopped using an acid stop-bath.

Thinking faintly about the chemistry & mis-remembering formulae (thanks
to Lloyd & his document on de-acidifying AA's fixer) strikes me that the
alkaline fixers and acid fixers have the same root so there shouldn't be
a big impact in fixing ability. However, the acid fixers have a higher
propensity to form less soluble products and require HCA and longer
wash. As a result I expect I'd inadvertently clean my prints less
effectively if I quietly acidified my alkaline fixer.

Regarding paraphrasing for lists - I rather appreciate it. I find
searching list archives for information the equivalent for looking for
needles in a stack of things that declare they are needles, just not
sharp or made of metal or capable of pulling thread.

Dave