[pure-silver] Re: stopbath kills fixer

  • From: "Garry Lewis" <garrylewis747@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:05:27 -0600

>Can you provide a few of the myths of stops baths. I've never seen any
>before.

1. they cause an increase of "grain clumping".
2. they cause an increase tendency for reticulation.
3 the acid eat away at the grains causing decreased highlight density.
4. causes airbells.
5. acid causes a decrease of stain of staining developers. { I've never
found a single person that has run an experiment of this statement.}
and the newest--
acid kills alkaline fixers.
   one or more of these have been used to demonize stop baths.
>I use an alkaline fixer because I want to avoid acid in the process

I have no problem with personal preference/choice for not using them based
on comfort or economy. It's when these old worn, unverified  warhorses get
trotted out.

Yours entering think and lurk mode,

Garry D. Lewis