[pure-silver] Re: stopbath kills fixer

  • From: "Don Feinberg" <ducque@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:39:36 -0600

> This may be true in theory for concentrated developers but with diluted
> and/or developers low pH developers (Xtol, DS-10 etc) the development is
> slowed to an insignificant rate because the alk fix is only about pH
7.0-7.3
> where most all developers are almost inactive.

And this is to say nothing of this:  Don't most people develop more-or-less
"to completion", anyway?  I  certainly do.  I don't use "time in the
developer" to adjust print density.  I have pretty much "standard" times for
developer/paper combinations, and I vary these only for specific reasons.  I
set my times long enough so there's no risk of mottling, and so both the
dense and highlight areas are solidly developed.

Times might be on the order of 2, 3, maybe up to 3.5 minutes in MQ or BW65
1:1:6.  For some papers, dilutions, and specific reasons, my times could go
up to 4 or 4.5 minutes.

Now, with the alkaline fixer (TF4), I'm only fixing for 1 minute in any
case, and there's a water rinse in between.  My own testing shows that the
majority of the fixing occurs in the first 20 seconds. (I've tried to test
this by taking test strips out of the fix after 10 to 15 or so seconds,
dropping them directly into the wash, then putting them in direct sunlight
for several weeks, with no visible fading.)

So how much additional development would one expect to see, even if the
"residual developer" were "fully active" in the fix?

Am I missing something?

Don Feinberg
ducque@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx