[pure-silver] Re: stopbath kills fixer

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 00:22:47 -0500 (EST)

From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: stopbath kills fixer
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:35:26 -0800

>   One might argue that, given the provision that _my_
> understanding is, in fact, correct, that my posting of
> information saves those who are too lazy from having to do
> their own research. There is probably some truth to this.
> However, the same point can be made about any published
> material. Books like Mees's famous _Theory of the
> Photogaphic Process_ are really collections of the condensed
> research of many others. Much, if not most, of the material
> in that book, as well as others, comes from published
> journal articles, which, in theory at least, were available
> at the time of printing, to readers. Why should they not
> have to do the research required to collect and read all
> this matrial?  One can take this further but I think the
> point has been made.

I find books like Mees or James are good starting point but very often
I don't get enough details of each research and have to get the
original paper. Even as simple as washing fixers, you need to know at
what condition the experiment was done, so that you can relate their
data to practice.  Reading the original paper is essential if the
information is crucial to the particular issue at hand. Plus, a lot of
things in Mees and James are outdated and new data and insights are
published since then. This does not diminish the value of their work
but it just requires a lot more to get updated information. This is a
good thing because we have more new knowledge we can use.

Now are you saying that I'm not disseminating enough information?

I simply wanted to know if the information was for some problem at
hand or to satisfy own curiosity or just for the sake of another
discussion over the topic at another place. Depending on the answer I
might want to post my contribution where the discussion is already
taking place.  What is wrong with that?

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."