[pure-silver] Re: stopbath kills fixer

  • From: "John Black" <jblack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:38:34 -0500

>    The problem is that if the developer is not washed out of
> the emulsion it will continue to work once it gets into the
> alkaline envirionment of the fixing bath. I don't know of
> any specific research on this as a practical problem, it may
> not be, but its at least true on principle

This may be true in theory for concentrated developers but with diluted
and/or developers low pH developers (Xtol, DS-10 etc) the development is
slowed to an insignificant rate because the alk fix is only about pH 7.0-7.3
where most all developers are almost inactive.

Your contention would be true if the fix was pH 8.5-9.5 but they are not.  I
have been using a neutral to slightly alkaline fix with no stop bath now for
several years with no ill effects.  My main reason for dropping the acid
stop and fix was twofold:  first to minimize the pH shock to the emulsion
during development and second, I dislike acetic acid fumes as I got from the
fixer (were/are there any acid fixes using citric acid?).

JB