[pure-silver] Re: stopbath kills fixer

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 16:14:31 -0500

jan2505 from Lloyd Erlick,

>What is the drawback of such "pF shock" with actual emulsions ?
>
>Claudio Bonavolta
>http://www.bonavolta.ch

I've never heard of or experienced any, to my knowledge. How much of a
drawback could there be, given that it is the norm for a print to be
transferred directly from an alkaline developer solution to an acetic acid
stop bath.

Personally, I use a quadruple water rinse as a stop bath. Some people might
say the developer continues to work if not stopped by acid, so as I dilute
it with my successive rinses, it is still working. No doubt true, but it
takes three minutes to develop the print at full strength in the developer
step. How much development can a severely diluted (soft working, in my
case) developer provide, anyway, in the few seconds before most of the
residual developer washes away?

It is considered quite normal to attack the face of a wet print with a
filthy squeegee. My opinion is that concern about pH 'shock' is theoretical
only, and not a practical concern to anyone who makes black and white
prints by hand, especially if they put gloves on those hands and then touch
the print ...

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.