[pure-silver] Re: New color head "discoveries"

  • From: "J.R. Stewart" <jrstewart@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 08:21:18 -0500

Thanks, everybody who weighed in on this question. I learned a lot from the
discussion. High points:

1. Not all papers react the same to dichro filter settings; some papers, on
some enlargers, may not reach the extreme ends of the ISO grade standards.
The most common solution for this is to use under lens or equivalent filters
(i.e, filter 0 or filter 5), but replacing the filters in the head might
help because they fade after a while.
2. Different developers with VC papers may give different scales, but it's
unlikely that the response range is anything like graded papers.
Glycine/metol, phenidone, or MQ developers all work for VC. The apparent
difference in scale one gets with two different developers may be eliminated
by using different development times or dilution factors. Lith developer may
be an exception, which counters what I just said, doesn't it--or perhaps
lith developers merely accentuate the small differences in paper contrast
observed with common MQ or phenidone developers.
3. The Thomas safelight emits light that VC emulsions can't tolerate very
well. Recommendations ranged from welding the Thomas shut or converting it
to a planter,  to moving it to a far corner and using the lowest light
possible, to using a red filter on it.

This discussion generated a bunch more questions.. but those are for another
day ! In the meantime I'll work on your many recommendations and
suggestions.
Thanks, group.

J.R. Stewart
Leesburg, VA