[pure-silver] Re: New color head "discoveries"

  • From: DarkroomMagic <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PureSilverNew <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 19:09:33 +0100

I snipped the rest of Richard's note, because I fully agreed with it, and
technically, I do agree with this bit also, but it could send the wrong
message from my point of view.
Let me be so bold and suggest the following:

If your negative requires a contrast filter outside of grade 0 to 3.5,
chances are, it belongs in the bin! If you have this requirement frequently,
you need to review your exposure and development strategies, because
something is probably wrong there.

There are exceptions to this. I had one in the last ten years. My image of
Stonehenge is printed on grade 5, using a custom-made mask. It is on my web
page opening screen.

www.darkroomagic.com

For local burns, I can see the need for min and max contrast. For base
exposures, a color head is the better tool, because it makes it so easy to
fine-tune contrast. Get the best of both worlds, and use a color head, while
having a filter 0 and 5 handy. Alternatively, use only filter 0 and 5 with
split-grade printing. There are many ways to get there, but a color head is
certainly a good printing tool.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht