[pure-silver] Re: New color head "discoveries"

  • From: "Rob Champagne" <app@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 22:51:30 +0000

Well no I haven't calibrated my enlarger but I have checked its out of the box
calibration against what is given for my enlarger by ilford on the datasheet
which comes with a box of ilford paper.
it says for G2 use 45Y + 24M combined. This is equivalent to an ISO grade 1
filter(or ilford G1 filter).  If I calibrate my neg development for normal
printing against these filter settings then I get good film speed and an
available increase in contrast from these G2 values which is greater than if I
were to calibrate my neg development against 0 filtration or Ilford G2
filtration.  Hence my original question.

incidentally I have also checked all the given settings of combined Y+M for the
other grades and the given setting for G3 is damn close to a true ISO grade 2.
Therefore if I were to calibrate my negative dev to an ISO grade 2 I would only
have available 2 higher grades of paper contrast using dichroic filtration.
However, because I calibrate to the given G2 setting which actually corresponds
to an ISO G1 I get contrastier negatives which compensates(the negative scale
fits the paper) and gives me a full 3 grades of available higher contrast to
use on my Dichroic head should I need them.
This is the equivalent of calibrating to an ilford G2 filter(not my dichroic
head) and then having a further 3 grades of ilford contrast available.

In a nutshell, if you calibrate your standard dev against dichroic filtration
which corresponds to ISO grade 1 then the available increase in contrast
available to you on a dichroic head will be around 3 grades..

Whether you might actually want to do that is a purely subjective decision
based on whether you prefer longer or shorter toe and shoulder in your prints.
I do it and am happy with my prints.

I was just curious if other people did this or had observed this but since
Kodak and some other manufacturers don't seem to publish combined filtration
settings I guess other people don't use their dichroic filtration that way. The
question then becomes irrelevant to them.