[pure-silver] Re: New color head "discoveries"

  • From: "Dave Valvo" <dvalvo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:39:45 -0800

Bob, if you use the PC filters, either Ilfords or Kodaks, they are balanced
for exposure so as one changes from -1 to 3.5 (filter label) there  is no
need to change exposure.  When changing to 4 and up simply increase exposure
by one stop.

But when someone uses dichroics ..there is only one M filter and one Y
filter.  To go from 10M to 100M more filter is added to the light path which
reduces energy and requires more exposure.  This is called a subtractive
system.  Ilford made an MG 500 head enlarger that is additive.  Blue and
Green light is used and by pushing PC buttons on the controller the computer
adjusts the light output to balance exposure between the two lamps so paper
exposure remains constant.

What I hear you saying is you have calibrated your subtractive enlarger so
that you always have equal exposure by balancing the amount of Y against the
amount of M required.  Unfortunately M is a much denser filter and to make
this system work you will limit yourself to a small range in the lower to
center of the LER range.   Then as your bulb ages you will need to
recalibrate.

Dave