[pure-silver] Re: New color head "discoveries"

  • From: "Don Feinberg" <ducque@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:04:23 -0600

> Don, magenta filters fade and do so quickly if you don't have a heat
> absorber in the light path before the filters.  If your filter fades you
may
> not be able to get high contrast with any paper.
>
> Also if you have a white diffusing box.... it is possible over the years
the
> reflective surface inside can fade and go yellow..  So if you have
extremely
> yellow light coming out of the diffusing box filtered with even good
magenta
> it will be hard to get high contrast.  Suggest you check those out.

 Dave, what you're saying is 100% correct.  However:

1) My color printing from the same head (Chromega II) is "nominal"; the +
and - CC changes apply properly and are "as expected".  And my base starting
filtrations seem only about +/- 10CC from the recommendations on the Kodak
boxes.  Of course, to complexify the situation, my starting M filtration is
generally about -10CC from the printed recommendation!

2) I can in fact get up to contrast #4 on Agfa, Kodak, or Ilford from the
filters in the head (contrast #4 is all you can actually get from a Chromega
II head anyway), and contrast #5 using the discrete filters.  It appears to
be only the Forte which seems to exhibit this issue.

Cheers,

- Don Feinberg
ducque@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx