[opendtv] Re: Fw: Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:49:13 -0400

Mark Schubin wrote:

But if you commit to a more expensive record-encumbered
non-hackable box you will basicley be selling something more
expensive against cheaper but more functional boxes from
competitors if it turns out that the Supremes rightly overturn the
special interest flag legislation.

And I'm not sure it has to be an 18 month design lag with x
generation boxes already in the pipeline.  I would seriously wager
some folks right now have parallel designs, just waiting for the
Court results.

I once read an interesting (if you like economics ;) ) book by A.
Dixit & R. Pindyck, "Investment Under Uncertainty" that outlined
the economics of when it is best to wait for new information
instead of binding a decision.  Something like a Supreme Court
case with a lot at stake would easily fit the category.

- Tom