[opendtv] Re: Fw: Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:55:33 -0400

We don't really know for sure what they are interested in
creating, just that they are not willing to announce anything now.

But the US Supreme Court will soon rule on the broadcast flag.  If
I was an STB manufacturer I would probably wait for that ruling
before announcing or finalizing any plans for future STB's.

The extra cost of BS robustness and certification probably dwarfs
any extra fancy tuner costs, not to mention making the boxes less
marketable.

- Tom