[opendtv] Re: Frames Per Second of 720P

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 07:13:24 -0400

Bob -

As I understand it, after using 1/4 FEC and first subtracting maybe 3 mbps for the mandatory MPEG-2 compatible channel, M/H might be able to deliver about 4 mbps of robust payload to a mobile receiver thru a 6 MHz ATSC channel. Can DVB-T* do better?

- Tom

Bob Miller wrote:
I think we will see cell phones in the US able to receive FTA DTV
using DVB-T2, DVB-T or DMBT viewable on its native screen, projecting
its content to a 20" screen or sending its image to wearable set of
glasses for HD or 3D HD.

If broadcasters are still didling along with multicast of their
precious content using 8-VSB and M/H they may have a problem.

Bob Miller

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 10:23 PM, John Shutt <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My feeble stab at it:

In Europe, competing cell phone services use GSM, and sell SIM cards for
service activation.  The customer is free to purchase a GSM handset
independent from purchasing service, and can port their instrument when
switching service among providers.

Therefore, customers buy handsets with the features they want.

Since Verizon is opening up their network to third party handsets that they
certify, perhaps that will allow people to buy phones equipped with ATSC M/H
receivers and use them with their Verizon account, instead of being locked
into only the phones that Verizon offers.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Albert Manfredi"
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

Transfer the argument to Europe. Can you answer what would make Europe so
different?

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx