[opendtv] Re: Frames Per Second of 720P

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:33:58 -0400

I don't know what the latest specs are on M/H but don't they have more
than one setting?

If as with the test in 2000 we would have to accept all the parameters
of the current US system, big stick/high power, and only compare DVB-T
or other modulations to the setting available to M/H is one thing.

A new competitor in 700 MHz would not so limit their network. They
would choose a robustness level that maxed out the bit rate while
matching the network they are willing to build. And their network
might be more dense in some urban areas which would allow for a less
robust mode and higher bit rate while more robust and lower bit rate
in a rural area. All kinds of possibilities in trying to balance the
cost of the network with their perceived value of bits delivered and
robustness levels.

Computer models might have to be used and the best case would change with time.

I think new entrants to the OTA broadcasting arena will have much
higher values of bits delivered and be willing to build complex
expensive networks to do that at very robust levels and that over time
they will constantly invest more to ever improve on that.

Current broadcasters as evidenced by the report will be tweaking their
old model which they are stuck with by law and betting that content
will save the day. They are/will be putting a lower value on bits
delivered, be unwilling to lobby for the changes needed so that they
can build the network needed and constantly be working from a position
of catch up reacting to their competitors and looking to Congress to
protect them instead of innovating .

That is their history. Are they going to change? I don't think so.

If I could build the network I want, with bits valued as much as I
expect the marketplace would value them, then I expect that with
DVB-T2 and its 30 to 50% advantage over DVB-T, I would be able to
deliver 18 Mbps very robustly to mobile, fixed and portable devices
including cell phones. If you are right about the 4 Mbps and I am
right about the 18 Mbps then my channel would be able to deliver 450%
of the bits an M/H channel can. I give NO value to the MPEG2 stream or
if any a negative value equal to its share of the electric bill.

Does that mean that channels using DVB-T2 are worth 450% of a
broadcasters channel using M/H? No it means they are worth infinitely
more since theirs become virtually worthless under the contraints of
M/H, the 5% tax and their mindset IMO.

I would not use DVB-T anymore than I would use M/H. Why not use the
best available. I would not worry about battery life in cell phones.
First because I would not build a network based on delivery to cell
phones. I would be after the entire TV market and that includes the
living room. But again I would not focus on the living room at the
expense of the rest of what will be a massive market for ubiquitous
reception of video and audio data.

And I would not waste 3 Mbps for the required MPEG2 NTSC program. I am
sure with a little work we could come up with something like 1 Mbps or
less to satisfy that requirement while legacy receivers wither on the
vine. And if what I outlined above were the environment for
broadcasters I am sure some would challenge the FCC with bit rates
that starve the requirement to the point of court challenges. You have
got to test in court to find the edge.

That is if you value bits as I would and as I think any market should
sans government involvement. At the moment I think government
involvement has devalued the broadcasters future value of their
spectrum by something over 95% while saddling taxpayers with what
would be unneeded expense for receiver subsidies and advertising of
the coming transition.

Bob Miller