[opendtv] Re: Frames Per Second of 720P

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 20:40:58 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> You say below, "Europe has proven that DVB-T is receivable
> by in-car receivers, portable devices, and laptops.  Adding
> DVB-H brings in the handheld cell phones."
>
> The fact is that in Europe they are selling cell phones that
> receive DVB-T and free OTA DTV today.

Be that as it may, DVB-H reception on cell phones took some doing. Let alone
low-power, typically single-tall-stick DVB-T, whose coverage is computed based
on 10 meter (30') high, outdoor receive antennas.

But I'll ask you what I asked John Shutt, then. If FOTA TV receivers
incorporated in cell phones are so successfully built in Europe, how come it's
like pulling teeth here?

Here is John's position on the matter, which is unrelated to modulation:

"However, if it is a free service, what incentive do cell phone providers have
in including the tuner in handsets? Do they provide AM/FM tuners now? No. Why
did they start putting in cameras? Because of consumer demand? NO, because of
data transmission fees when you send a picture to someone else. If there is no
subscription, there is no service in a cell phone."

Transfer the argument to Europe. Can you answer what would make Europe so
different?