[modeleng] Re: boiler making

  • From: "Dave Beaman" <davebeaman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:18:04 -0000

The vacuum on steam locos is generated by a vacuum ejector(s). Most locos
have 2 ejectors, a large to create vacuum quickly, i.e. if to much brake has
been applied and vacuum is to low to allow release, and a small ejector to
maintain the vacuum whilst running. The GWR had to be different and instead
of a small ejector, they used a vacuum pump to maintain the vacuum whilst
running, this was driven off the crosshead and is sometimes called a
crosshead pump. These pumps are very useful if you are struggling for steam
but they can be unreliable and not maintain the 25" required on a western
engine to keep the brakes off, you have to keep using the large to create
the full 25" of naff all.
Diesels locos that were fitted with vacuum brakes had an exhauster driven
from somewhere in the tin box, I don't know much about paraffin burning spam
cans.

Dave.