[modeleng] Re: boiler making

  • From: "Barrie Purslow" <bpduo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 22:33:07 -0000

> The screw coupling was the one I am thinking about.  Does the shunter
> still
> not have to crawl in between the cars to tighten up the screw by rotating
> it?
>
> Jesse

Yes indeed. But first he (usually the fireman) has to swing the link onto
the hook. The screw is then tightened to a point determined from experience.
This is all done with the buffers compressed. I have done it a few times
myself - it's the sort of thing that makes you realise why you play with
models rather than fullsize.

Barrie