[modeleng] Re: boiler making

  • From: "shep" <shep.28@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 22:22:12 -0000

Hi Al

I have been diligently rearranging my workshop to accommodate both the 'new'
Hardinge and the old Maximat.   This has taken time, and much heaving around
of heavy stuff.   Thanks to the advice given by Jesse and by Ron Head, I
have replaced the discarded bulky wood-cutting bandsaw with a Chinese
version of the horizontal / vertical metal-cutting job, which is much more
compact..   Like Ron, I bought a Clarke, from our local supplier, Chronos,
who had one on special offer.    Clarke must have produced the instructions,
which are in clear English and not the usual fractured Chinglish!    I am no
much good at constructing flat-pack furniture, and I found it time-consuming
to assemble the light metal stand for this saw, whilst heaving around the
heavy main body.   I am pleased to say that I have squeezed it in, so that
the garage now contains all of the equipment plus the long-suffering family
car.   I have to aim straight, when parking it!

The horizontal table of the bandsaw has a groove pressed into it, to
accommodate a mitre gauge.   The groove has curved edges, and is not very
accurate.
I am making a subsidiary table to attach to the existing table, with a
proper groove that will take the mitre gauge from my splendid Delta circular
saw.   I also plan an adjustable fence, to facilitate long cuts.   I will
send you pics by email when completed.

So I have made no progress on the little lathe.  I have, however, played
with the Hardinge.   The other day, I fitted a 1/16 collet chuck, chucked
1/16 brass rod, cranked the old beast up to 3,000 rpm and turned the rod
down to less that half of its diameter - quite impressive for a massive
lathe!

In three week's time, we plan to be in Cape Town to celebrate our daughter's
first wedding anniversary.   We enjoy being away from the darkness, amongst
local friends, enjoying the sunshine and the wine.   Once again, we have
been fortunate in finding house-sitters for our absence.   Bearing all of
this in mind, the progress on the little lathe will have to wait!

How are YOUR projects progressing?

Cheers!   Hubert