[modeleng] Re: boiler making

  • From: "Barrie Purslow" <bpduo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 17:11:22 -0000

Jesse,

> Barrie,  The "Irregular" passenger trains are equipped with "side door
> pullmans", aka: Box cars, - - -- 'scuse me, you blokes call them things
> "goods wagons" I believe.  Same language, two different worlds and if you
> toss in Oz, three different ones.

Indeed!

> Whilst I am on a rant or something here, why has Jolly Olde England not
> used
> some version of the knuckle coupler instead of that chain and binder that
> they use.  I would think that it would be dangerous to have to connect
> "wagons" together using that system without getting some part of the
> switchman's anatomy caught between the buffers?

Yep, there have been many accidents of this nature on our railways despite
the shunter (switchman!) being equipped with a long pole. However the days
of wagons coupled by chains ( "loose coupled") with only hand brakes! are
gone. All mainline freight trains are now "fully fitted" (braked by the
driver) and use either screw couplings or our version of the knuckle coupler
which we call a buckeye coupling.

Regards,

Barrie