[modeleng] Re: Boilers

  • From: "Phill Smith" <steam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 23:57:19 +0800

Harry,

The problem with welding tips is that they are designed to give a high
concentration of heat to a relatively small area. The cutting torch is
designed to give relatively more heat (due to the greater number of preheat
flames) but spread over a larger area. With the "rosebud" heating torch, it
is an even larger version of the cutting torch, due to it's much larger
number of flames. But the advantage of the cutting torch is that you have
the control (to some extent) of the welding tip, combined with the broad
heating capacity (a smaller version) of the rosebud heating torch. I have
found it to be an excellent combination of heat output and controllability
(is that a word???) in terms of being able to localise it for silver
soldering individual bits and pieces without having to melt all the
surrounding silver soldered joints.

The only time I use my heating torches is for the preheat and holding the
boiler at around 50-100°C below soldering temp. I then move in with the
cutting torch and locally heat the areas that I intend on silver soldering.
I only seem to use my LPG/oxy heating torches these days, and not my
oxy/acet. As I don't work in a gas plant anymore, I found that operating
costs is a major factor...... The free stuff has stopped flowing.........
*sigh*

Cheers,

Phill.