[modeleng] Re: Boilers

  • From: Alan Stepney <alesara2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 20:35:27 +0000 (GMT)

Build one. It requires care, not rocket science.

Start off by reading as many desriptions of boiler
building as you can.

Martin Evans book, that by Alex Farmer, and
innumarable ME (& EIM) articles to start with.

Then, form the plates. The one rule is anneal, anneal,
and anneal.

Careful marking out is required, of the same accuracy
that the rest of the loco needs.

As for silver soldering. Cleanliness may or may not be
next to Godliness, but it is certainly an essential to
getting a decent joint.

So, clean thoroughly, flux, and LOTS of heat. The
metal needs to be red hot. Then, apply the silver
solder.

Use only Easyflo (or Silverflo as well if you are
planning step-brazing.)

Then, test carefully.

Do NOT use ANY soft solder. Yes, you can use it as a
caulk, but once you do, you can nenevr silver solder
that area again.

Having someone around to advise you is an excellent
idea.
As is doing a few trial pieces first.
Also, your club inspectors may want to have a look at
it before you stick it all together.

Alan