[modeleng] Re: Boilers

  • From: Allen Messer <al_messer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 06:53:17 -0800 (PST)

Keith, if you are far enough along in constructing a
Simplex to be thinking about the boiler, I personally
feel that you are a careful worker and capable of
doing a boiler, presumably a Copper boiler.

My advice would be to find someone who has
successfully built several (more than one) and ask
them if they would sort of "mentor" you through the
process.  (Possibly a person in your local club would
be glad to assist you.)

The forming of the plates out of Copper is fairly
straight forward, and the process of Silver Brazing is
something that is best learned on pieces of scrap, but
it is not some mysterious process involving magic,
just careful, thoughtful workmanship.

BTW: do you have a copy of Harris' book on model
boilermaking?

Al Messer