[modeleng] Re: Boilers

  • From: "Phill Smith" <steam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 23:04:13 +0800

Dave,

Here's another tip.

Use the oxy/acet cutting torch for your local heating for silver braising,
rather than a welding tip. By using the cutting torch with a small tip in
it, a lot of heat is generated by multiple small flames. This gives you more
heat than you can use, but to advantage. It is easy to control the heat
being applied to the area you wish to silver solder, by simply varying the
distance up the long flame feathers that you are using. As you are not
getting close enough to the primary flame (the little bright blue flame) to
use it, it is much harder to burn your copper. Also the number of components
doesn't matter as there is enough heat to evenly heat the whole lot with a
little care.

Cheers,

Phill.