[modeleng] Re: boiler making

  • From: Harry Wade <hww@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 17:05:44 -0600

At 10:53 PM 1/6/06 -0000, you wrote:
>many thanks Harry your a wealth of info in pictures , it's much appreciated

   You're very welcome.  Ping any time.

>as an aside , I came across this copper brazing alloy,

   This is no doubt what's known as a "phos-copper."  This became popular
amoung live steamers in the USA during the 1960's and 1970's as a less
expensive substitute for silver solder, but it has been shown to have
strength and deterioration problems when used in boilers, especially in
areas which will be exposed to sulphide-bearing exhaust gasses, and it too
is now not recommended.  Even the mfgs caution against its use in certain
applications. It also does not have the flow characteristics at liquidus
temperatures of silver solders and we rely upon wicking and flow into
joints to make sound connections.  Best leave that one alone also.

Regards,
Harry Wade
Nashville  Tennessee