[modeleng] Re: boiler making

  • From: "Dave Beaman" <davebeaman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 13:10:05 -0000

Having "hooked on" many times on the SVR, (the fireman has to do it every
trip, we don't have dedicated shunters), it is all in the knack. I always
try and get the driver to ease the loco onto the stock, well compressing the
buffers so I don't have to wind the screw very far. For a safety precaution,
take the vacuum bag off the loco before you do anything else, this minimises
any chance of the loco moving whilst you are between. Then crawl into the
limited space and swing the shackle, weighing around half hundredweight,
onto the hook ant tighten the screw untill there are two threads showing.
Finally, connect the vacuum bags and exit the track. When we have gala
weekends with demonstration loose coupled freights, I have, in the past used
a shunters pole for swinging the 3-link shackles, the do not have screw
thread adjusters and this is a knack in itself although, it is almost
impossible to use a pole to hook on a screw shackle due to the weight. I
have watched professional shunters at work with poles and it is an art.

Dave.