[modeleng] Re: boiler making

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 18:42:45 -0600

Dave,

Thanks for the info on UK railway brakes.  I installed a vacuum ejector on
my Mich-Cal Shay so I could operate the brakes on the MSLS riding cars.
They work the reverse of your full sized locomotives in that there is no
vacuum on the train line until it is desired to apply the brakes. I have
never used the ejector as I haven't pulled any of the club cars with vacuum
brakes, but I am ready if the occasion arises. The Shay has enough traction
to pretty well hold a sizeable line of cars in check, but then again, I
haven't tried it.  BTW: Some of the steamers and "paraffin burning spam
cans" utilize a small electric vacuum pump with reservoir to apply the
brakes.  Three of my locomotives have steam brakes on them of some type or
the other.  The Shay has a steam cylinder on each truck while the American
and Filer and Stowell have steam "jam brakes" between the drivers.  The jam
brakes will lock the locomotive wheels if not used carefully.

Naff all?

Jesse in Tennessee where it is/was sunny and warm (53° F) all day.