RE: jfw for the blind or visually impaired

  • From: "Kimsan Song" <kimsansong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 18:55:10 -0700

Adrian:

That has been a large discussion between my coworker and myself every time
these evaluations come up.

The students are struggling to accept the vision lost they are experiencing
and the use of a cane, large print, screen readers, anything that will "make
them feel different" the student will not embrace, which I can attest too.

Seeing as I am not in any position to tell the powers that be what to teach
or how to accommodate the students with which screen reader or magnification
program, I just do as I am told.

I am going through one heck of a time right now teaching jaws to the
students because they are always reaching for the mouse of which I had to
disconnect after a while and having to remind the students the pros of using
a screen reader.

Let me relay this back to the topic of the mailing list so the mods will not
hatch me, seeing as I am blind I was wondering for someone who has
relatively good vision, not 20-20 but how would using jaws be like? compared
to someone who is completely blind?

Adrian, thankyou for your comments.

Take care.

From: Kimsan Song